WET SHREDDED CHICKEN BURRITO RECIPE with VEGETARIAN OPTION |CROCK POT RECIPE |Cooking with Carolyn
Wet Shredded Chicken Burrito- Crock Pot Recipe |Cooking With Carolyn
Copyright © 2016 by Cooking With Carolyn
Yield: 6 to 8 Servings
· 3 to 5 Pounds Chicken, your choice of pieces, boneless or bone-in, skin or skinless
· 2 Teaspoons Grand Diamond All Purpose Seasoning
· 2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
· 1½ Teaspoons Mexican Oregano
· 1½ Teaspoon or To Taste Kosher Salt
· 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
· 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
· 1 Teaspoon Chipotle Powder
· 3 to 4 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
· 1 Medium or Large Brown Onion, sliced ¾ inch
· 1 Red Bell Pepper, sliced ¾ inch
· 2 to 3 Cloves Garlic, chopped
· 1½ Cups Chunky Salsa
· 1½ Cups Low Sodium Chicken Stock/Broth
· 1 Dozen 12 inch Flour Tortillas
· Mexican Rice, recipe link:
· 3 to 5 Cups Enchilada Sauce, recipe link:
Quick Pinto Beans Recipe:
· 2, 15 Ounce Cans Plain Pinto Beans, drained & rinsed
· 1, 4 Ounce Can Green Chiles
· 3 to 4 Tablespoons Onions, finely chopped
· 2 Cloves Garlic, finely chopped
· To Taste Chipotles and Adobo Sauce OR ¾ Teaspoon Chipotle Powder
· To Taste Salt & Black Pepper
· 1 Cup Chicken Stock/Broth
Choice of ingredients to add to the burritos:
· Your choice of Grilled Vegetables, zucchini, summer squash, yellow bell peppers, sliced onions, etc.
· Your choice of Cheese, Cheddar, Pepper Jack, Monterey Jack, etc.
· Shredded Lettuce
· Diced Tomatoes
· Roasted Corn
· Diced Green Onions or Red Onions
· Chopped Cilantro
· Sour Cream
· Guacamole or sliced Avocado
Quick Pinto Beans:
Combine all of the ingredients in to a medium sauce pan. Simmer for 20 minutes over medium-high heat.
Mix all of the seasonings in a small bowl. Prepare and slice the onions, bell pepper, and garlic.
Season all of the chicken with about 2 Tablespoons of the seasoning mixture. Preheat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Once the oil is hot, brown the chicken on each side for about 3 to 4 minutes.
Place the meat in the crock pot along with the onions, bell pepper, garlic, the remaining seasoning mixture, salsa, and chicken broth. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 9 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.
Prepare all of your favorite toppings. Grill vegetables by slicing them lengthwise and then coating them with olive oil. Season to taste. Grill the slices on each side for about 2 to 4 minutes, depending on the desired tenderness.
Once the chicken is done, shred it and remove the bones if bone-in chicken was used, and place it back into the juices of the crock pot.
Assemble the burrito:
Warm a tortilla on a hot griddle or in a dry skillet over medium-high heat. Pile your choice of ingredients on the lower third of the tortilla, fold the bottom of the tortilla over the ingredients, fold both ends inward and roll it to close.
Place the burrito(s) in an oven safe dish, pour over some enchilada sauce, and sprinkle cheese over the top. Place in the oven under the broiler to melt the cheese. Garnish with sour cream, guacamole, and/or salsa.