BEST EVER GERMAN CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES | IS GERMAN CHOCOLATE FROM GERMANY?
Updated: Jun 20
Carolyn’s German’s Chocolate Cupcakes |Cooking With Carolyn
Copyright © 2018 Cooking With Carolyn
Yield: 24 Cupcakes
· 1-4 Ounce German’s Sweet Chocolate Baking Bar or Semi-Sweet, finely chopped
· 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter
· 1¼ Cups Granulated Sugar
· ¼ Cup Light Brown Sugar, firmly packed
· 2 Large Whole Eggs, room temperature
· 2 Egg Whites, room temperature
· 1½ Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
· 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
· 1¼ Teaspoons Baking Soda
· ¼ Teaspoon Salt
· 1½ Cups Buttermilk, room temperature
· Baking Spray
4 Egg Yolks
1-12 Ounce Can Evaporated Milk
1½ Cups Granulated Sugar
1½ Sticks (3/4 Cup) Unsalted Butter
1½ Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
2 Cups Roasted Unsalted Pecans, finely chopped
7 Ounces Shredded Sweetened Coconut
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Prepare all of the ingredients prior to assembling the cupcake batter:
1. Chop the chocolate and place it in a large bowl with the butter. Microwave the mixture for 30 seconds and stir. Microwave the mixture one to two more times in 10 second increments to ensure the chocolate and butter is melted. Stir well, the hot butter will help any remaining chunks of chocolate to melt. Set aside to cool.
2. Separate 4 eggs. All of the yolks for the frosting and two of the whites will be used in the cake recipe. There will be 2 egg whites remaining (save them for breakfast).
3. In another medium bowl, sift the flour, baking soda and salt together, set aside.
4. Chop the pecans and set aside.
5. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, toast the coconut. Set aside.
Once the chocolate mixture has cooled, add the sugars and mix on medium speed using a hand mixer. Mix until well combined. Mix in one egg/egg white at a time. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, mix in the vanilla and buttermilk.
Next, gently fold the flour mixture into the wet mixture, about 3 to 4 turns, to avoid a “flour dust cloud” when mixing. Resume using the hand mixer and mix just until the batter comes together. Do not over mix.
Spray the top of the muffin tins with some baking spray and line with cupcake liners. Place ¼ cup of batter in each liner. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or just until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
Once done, allow the cupcakes to completely cool on a cooling rack. Make the frosting.
Coconut Pecan Frosting
In a large skillet or saucepan, add the egg yolks, evaporated milk, sugar and butter. Turn on the heat to medium heat. Whisk the ingredients together until they are melted and combined. Constantly whisk the mixture for the first 5 minutes, then every 3 to 5 minutes for another 20 to 25 minutes. (Note: Keep an eye on it. Constant stirring and whisking will keep the eggs from curdling and result in a smoother texture.) Turn off the heat and stir in the vanilla, pecans and coconut. Allow it to cool for about 15 minutes.
Top each cupcake with the desired amount of frosting. Serve.
#bestevergermanchocolatecupcakes #bestevergermanchocolatecupcakesrecipe #germanchocolatecupcakes #cookingwithcarolyn #germanchocolatecake #germanchocolate #chocolatecupcakes #germanchocolatecakerecipe #howtomakegermanchocolatecake #germanchocolatecupcakerecipe #germanchocolatecakefrosting #isgermanchocolatefromgermany #howtomakegermanchocolatecakefromscratch #howtomakegermanchocolatecupcakes