Old Fashioned Chocolate Cream Cheese Pound Cake with Mocha Icing |Cooking With Carolyn
Copyright © 2016 by Cooking With Carolyn
Note: You will need a 12-Cup Capacity Fluted Bundt Pan Yield: About 15 to 18 Slices
For the Cake:
· 3 Sticks (1½ Cups) plus 2 Tablespoons for the bundt pan, Unsalted Butter, room temperature
· 8 Ounces Cream Cheese, room temperature
· ½ Cup Light or Dark Brown Sugar, firmly packed
· 2½ Cups Granulated Sugar
· 6 Eggs, room temperature
· 3 Tablespoons Brewed Espresso or Very Strong Brewed Coffee
· 1 Tablespoon Pure Vanilla Extract
· 2½ Cups Cake Flour (or All Purpose Flour) plus 2 to 3 Tablespoons for the bundt pan
· ½ Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
· ¼ Teaspoon Baking Soda
· ½ Teaspoon Salt
· 1 Cup Semi-Sweet or Dark Chocolate Chips
· 1½ Cups Powdered Sugar
· 1 Tablespoon Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
· 3 to 3½ Tablespoons Milk
· 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
· 1 Tablespoon Granulated Sugar
· 4 ounces Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
· 1 Tablespoon Agave Nectar
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
Sift the cake flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.
In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, mix the cream cheese and butter together until creamy and well combined, about a minute or so. Add the sugars and continue to mix until the mixture is light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Scrape your bowl down with a spatula.
Add the eggs one at a time while mixing. Add the espresso and vanilla extract. Next, mix in the flour mixture 1 cup at a time and remember to stop once or twice and scrape the bowl down so that all of the batter are well blended. Finally, fold in the chocolate chips using a spatula.
Butter and flour the inside of the entire cake pan including the tube. Tap out the excess flour. Pour the batter into the cake pan and then give the pan a little shake to settle the batter. If desired, you can place the cake pan on a cookie sheet on the middle rack of the oven. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 20-25 minutes or until a skewer is inserted and comes out clean.
Once done, allow the cake to cool in the pan for 5 to 10 minutes and then invert it onto a cooling rack. Let the cake cool completely, about an hour.
Making the Mocha Icing
Combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth. Pour the icing over the cake.
Want more of a decadent touch? Try this Chocolate Ganache instead of the Mocha Icing
Combine the heavy cream and sugar in a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat. Just stir until the heavy cream is hot and the sugar is dissolved. In a small bowl, combine the chocolate chips and agave nectar. Finally, pour the hot heavy cream over the chocolate chips and whisk until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
Pour the ganache over the cooled cake and allow it set for about 15 minutes. Cut, serve, and enjoy!