HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN STOCK- VARIATION RECIPE |Cooking With Carolyn
Homemade Chicken Stock-Reduced Fat, Low Sodium & No Sodium Variations |Cooking With Carolyn
Copyright © 2014 by Cooking With Carolyn
Ingredients Yield: 2½ Quarts
· 7 Pounds Fresh Chicken, bone-in & skin on
(Choice of: Whole chickens, all white meat, all dark meat or mixed cuts of chicken)
For REDUCED FAT STOCK:
Option #1-Remove the skin from half of your choice of chicken PRIOR TO COOKING Option #2 (Recommended)-Do not remove any skin, follow the recipe, then remove the desired amount of fat AFTER the stock has been cooled and refrigerated.
· 4 Stalks Celery, cut into 3 sections
· 3 to 4 Large Carrots, shaved with a vegetable peeler & cut into 3 sections
· 2 Medium-Sized Onions, cut in half or quarters
· 1 Whole Head of Garlic, cut in half
· 1 Dried Bay Leaf
· ½ Bunch Italian Flat Leaf Parsley
· ½ Bunch of Fresh Thyme
· 1- 6 Inch Piece of Lemon Grass, bruised using the back of the blade of a knife
· 1 to 1½ Teaspoons of Whole Black Peppercorns
· 2 Tablespoons Kosher Salt for LOW SODIUM stock
For SALT FREE stock omit the salt
· 10 Cups Cold Water
Wash and prepare all of the ingredients.
In a large stock pot, place the chicken in the bottom of the pot followed by the celery, carrots, onions, garlic, bay leaf, parsley, thyme, lemon grass, peppercorns and salt. Then pour the water over the vegetables and chicken. Over high heat, bring the stock up to a boil then turn the heat down to low and partially cover the pot with a lid. Simmer for 3½ to 4 hours.
Once done, pour the stock through a strainer into a large bowl, or a couple of large bowls. Remove the vegetables from the chicken and discard them. Place the chicken on a large clean surface or platter and remove all of the bones and skin. (Tip: The meat of the chicken can be frozen by the pound in freezer zip bags along with ¼ cup of the cooled stock and used at a later time for soups or other desired uses.)
After cooling the stock, place it into the refrigerator overnight. The remaining fat will solidify at the top of the bowl, at that time the desired amount of fat may be removed.