SAUTEED COLLARD GREENS with SMOKED TURKEY |Cooking With Carolyn
Sautéed Collard Greens with Smoked Turkey |Cooking With Carolyn
Copyright © 2015 by Cooking With Carolyn
Yield: 4 to 6 Servings
· 1 Pound Smoked Turkey Meat, choice of 1 wing or 1 leg
· 3 Bunches Whole Fresh Collard Greens, washed, stems removed and shredded
· 3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Vegetable Oil
· 1 Whole Small Yellow Onion, sliced
· 2 to 3 Cloves Garlic, finely minced
· 1 Teaspoon (or to taste) Kosher Salt
· ½ Teaspoon (or to taste) Black Pepper
· 1 Teaspoon (or to taste) Grand Diamond All Purpose Seasoning
· 1 to 2 Cups Shredded Cabbage (optional)
Complete all of the preparation for this recipe before you start to actually cook.
1. Place the smoked turkey in a medium sized sauce pot, add 5 cups of water and cover with a lid. Over medium-high heat, bring to a boil and then turn the heat down to low and simmer for 1½ to 2 hours. (Note: The liquid will probably reduce down to about 2½ to 3 cups.) Once done, save the stock, remove the meat from the bones and shred using your fingers or 2 forks.
2. Remove the stems from the greens. Fill up 1/3 of the kitchen sink with lukewarm water and about ¼ cup of salt. Wash the greens in the water to remove all of the dirt/sand. Once the first wash is complete, remove the greens from the water, drain the sink, and repeat the process 1 to 2 more times, depending on how dirty the greens are. Give the greens a final rinse under running cool water and place them in a colander.
3. In batches, stack some of the collard leaves and roll them up tight. Using a sharp knife, cut the greens into thin shredded strips and set aside. If the optional cabbage is going to be used shred it also and set aside.
4. Slice the onions and mince the garlic.
In a very large skillet over medium-high heat add the oil. Once the oil is preheated, add the onions and sauté for about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds. Next add 1/3 of the greens sautéing them with the garlic and onions. As the greens start to wilt add the remaining 2/3. Continue to sauté for about 10 to 15 minutes. Add the seasonings to taste.
Next, stir in the turkey meat and ½ of the turkey stock. Stir in the remaining stock and optional cabbage, cover with a lid and cook for about 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, taste the greens for tenderness and seasoning. It’s optional to cook the greens for an additional 10 to 15 minutes. Serve immediately.
#sauteedcollardgreenswithsmokedturkey #sauteedcollardgreenswithsmokedturkeyrecipe #sauteedcollardgreensandsmokedturkey #sauteedcollardgreensrecipe #howtocookcollardgreens #howtocleancollardgreens #southerncollardgreensrecipe #southerncollardgreens #cookingwithcarolyncollardgreens #granddiamondseasoningcollardgreens #gdseasoninggreens #howtowashcollardgreens #howtowashcollardgreenswithvinegar #howtowashandcutcollardgreens